October 12, 2009

Lunch #1 (Brown Rice, Lentil and Feta Salad)

As previously mentioned, I'm on a mission to reduce my propensity for unhealthy snacking during the working week. This means plenty of wholegrains such the aforementioned Bircher Muesli for breakfast (I added shredded coconut this time), followed by a brown rice salad for lunch. I've made this numerous times before, and it's received good feedback, so here it is


(4 serves)


INGREDIENTS
2 cups cooked and cooled Brown Rice
1 can cooked brown lentils, rinsed

75g crumbled feta

1/2 diced red pepper (Capsicum for all you Aussies and Americans)

1/2 diced cucumber

a large glug of Olive Oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Lots of chopped flat parsley
blanched broccoli (1-2 minutes in boiling water, then under cold water to stop them cooking)
pinch of some vaguely Middle-Eastern/North African spices (cumin/coriander/Ras el Hanout etc)
salt and black pepper


METHOD

Mix it all together.

---

To be honest, it's one of those recipes constantly evolving, and I'm very much of the "see what's lying around and throw it in if it might work" school of cookery. Diced fresh tomatoes would also work, and in a way it's becoming a bit like tabouleh without the couscous. It's also good with some grilled, marinated chicken or lamb skewers if you're looking for a more substantial meal.


I made a big batch of this (which should see me through lunch this week) and loaded it into my Tiffin this morning. That's good eatin'...

1 comment:

Tom Lundy said...

going to prepare this for my tea this evening. Might replce the Feta with another cheese, though.

Nice blogging, Ian. I am also a fan of your food photos...