October 10, 2009

Breakfast #1 (Bircher Muesli)

They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. 'They' are probably right, but I am a big fan of lie-ins, and are therefore notoriously bad at finding the time before I head into work.

I am also a compulsive snacker, and not always a healthy one. I think these two things are connected somehow, so I have started to make a conscious effort to try and eat a tasty, healthy breakfast that provides the necessary sustenance until lunch. And I'm not talking about Shreddies.

On Thursday evening, after suffering pangs of guilt for not making it to the gym, I made Bircher Muesli, named after Swiss Physician Maximillian Bircher-Becker. I'm not one for boxed muesli normally as I have an aversion to almonds, but my creation turned out remarkably well, and I made it through to Friday lunch without reaching for the snacks, so I thought I'd post it on here.

I'm not one for following recipes to the letter, so inspiration was gathered from various sources, and then I made something up. This does 4 serves, and is stupidly easy to make. And yes that photo is of mine.

INGREDIENTS
3 large handfuls of coarse oats.
30g (ish) Pumpkin seeds
30g (ish) Sunflower seeds
30g Crushed Mixed Nuts (I used Peanuts)
50g Sultanas (or other mixed dried fruit)
2 Granny Smith Apples
Drizzle of Honey
Pinch of Cinnamon
Apple Juice and/or Milk

METHOD
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, and top with enough Apple Juice/Milk to just cover them. Mix thoroughly.
2. Soak overnight so that oats soak up all the liquid.
3. The next morning, coarsely grate the apples (leaving the skin on) and add to the muesli with the honey (if mixture needs sweetening). Mix.

Serve with a dollop of Natural Yogurt topped with some fruit (I used defrosted frozen mixed berries).

No comments: