October 25, 2009

Brunch: Baked Chickpeas with Maple Syrup and Bacon


Being English, Heinz Baked Beans (with an 's', not a 'z' thanks) on Toast (hereafter BoT) holds many memories. Sometimes I'd spice them up with another iconic British foodstuff, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, sometimes it was Tabasco. Occasionally I'd grate some Cheddar Cheese onto the toast as well. Of course, beans are also an obligatory part of the Full English Breakfast, otherwise known as Heart Attack On A Plate.


I'm a nightmare at breakfast because of my dislike of eggs in their natural from, but this also means I'm guaranteed to gravitate towards the slightly less 'standard' options. Aside from my benchmark brunch (Corn Fritters with Bacon, the best being at Replete in Kew), I've seen numerous variations of BoT over here, one of the best being at my local, New York Tomato. Yesterday I decided to put my own twist on matters, using Chick Peas.....

BAKED CHICKPEAS WITH MAPLE AND BACON
(Serves 2)

INGREDIENTS
400g can of Chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
4 rashers streaky bacon
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
400g can Diced Tomatoes (or equivalent of Passata)
100ml Vegetable Stock
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs pure maple syrup
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt & freshly ground pepper
1 or 2 baby bocconcini
1tsp Green Pesto

METHOD

1. In a saucepan, heat oil and cook bacon, onion and garlic for 3 minutes until soft.
2. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, stock, Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup and mustard.
3. Simmer for a 30 minutes until thick and chickpeas are tender. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Transfer to small earthenware dishes, scatter with sliced bocconcini and grill until melted.
5. Drizzle with pesto (thinned out with olive oil if needed)

Serve with chargrilled sourdough bread.

------

Today has been a day of cooking and baking, with the result being a whole load of recipes that I'll write up over the rest of the coming week. We're having a fundraising morning tea at work tomorrow in aid of The National Breast Cancer Foundations Pink Ribbon Day, with all food having to have a pink theme...so I've been messing around with Pink Peppercorns. More of that another time....

No comments: