January 25, 2010

Brunch at Three Bags Full

Three Bags Full
Corner of Nicholson and Mollison Streets,
Abbotsford, 3067 (
map)


Whilst I certainly enjoy food, it's fair to say that I don't intend this blog to be packed full of reviews of places I eat. Similarly, I see a hell of a lot of live music, but struggle to articulate the good and bad when someone asks me how it was - maybe I'm not critical enough, and maybe I don't have the poetic way with words that others do. I'm not very good at being concise either.

So with that disclaimer out of the way, I'll tell you about today's brunch at the newly-opened (this very morning apparently - thank you Twitter) Three Bags Full. It's from the people that brought you Liar Liar in Hawthorn, and APTE in Alphington, and can be found in a converted Warehouse just off Victoria Street in Abbotsford. Somewhat conveniently, this is less that ten minutes walk from my house.

The fit-out is fantastic; free-hanging light bulbs (some with cup and saucer shades), reclaimed industrial furniture, including seating made from old road signs, amongst other things. There's a bit of a yellow thing going on, which gave me an opportunity for gratuitous use of the 'Colour Accent' photo on my Canon IXUS - always a plus.

As usual, a Clover machine on site, and Five Senses providing in the beans was the sign that that a great coffee was on the way. I stuck with Long Macchiatos today, which were strong and smooth, and looked over the menu which had plenty of options for those who have an aversion to eggs in their simplest form. Despite the long list to choose from, I couldn't go past the Cauliflower Fritters with Halloumi, given my long-standing love for fritters in general, and my ever-growing obsession with a cheese that doesn't melt when you heat it up.

And ohhhhh they were good. Two fritters, lightly flavoured with some Middle Eastern spices, came layered with halloumi and accompanied by a minty, yogurt dressing and what was basically a warm tomato chutney. It was all I could do not to lick the plate afterwards. And that's why I decided to write it up on here.

I haven't been to Liar Liar since it changed hands, but with Three Bags Full, and Proud Mary in Collingwood, I've gained two new haunts even closer to my house - not a bad outcome at all. I'm going to walk past at the weekend and see how packed it is - I bet there'll be queues round the block....

Posted by Picasa

No comments: